2009/12/24

Twas The Night Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Henry was watching to keep out the mouse
The symbols were posted up all here and there
in hopes that the aliens wouldn't be there

I tried to hide quietly, snug in my bed
While visions and voices all danced in my head
So then I stayed up, Henry in my lap
While around me the city prepared for their nap

When outside my window there came such a clatter
I leaped from my bed to see what was the matter
Away from the window I flew like a flash
I looked to the door in case I had to dash

Now, Henry! Now, Charlie! Bus lady and Jane
don't think that I'll hesitate to call you by name
If you come on the grass, if you come through the wall,
I'll smash away, smash away, smash away all.

Henry spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
He watched all the doorways, where spirits might lurk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
He made a nice bed from my discarded clothes.

I sprang to my bed, covered my ears against the whistle
The people all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard them whisper as they drove out of sight,
"Better not turn around, 'cause I'm haunting tonight."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote this poem a long time ago, but seeing as it's poetry day I figure it might be a good time to post it:

I can’t imagine what it’s like
Hearing voices in your head
Teasing, taunting, telling you
That you really should be dead

To have them follow everywhere
No matter where you stand
You can’t escape and can’t break free
Of their calls and their demands

If I could give you just one night
Without the voices there
So you could have one night of peace
One night without a care

I wish that I could fix you
And make all this go away
But I’m not God, not even close
So I guess I’m left to pray

Pray for strength and guidance
And pray that you’ll get through
And pray that I might be your rock
Cause that’s what sister’s do

So let me be your rock dear friend
Lean on me anytime
And no matter what, I love you
And am so glad you are mine

J. said...

That's beautiful. :)